New Kent in New Kent County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Wilson House: Witness to Three Centuries
The house did not remain in one family. It was sold about 1837, again about 1860, by court order in 1896, and also in 1917, 1948, and 1951. Today, it is somewhat arbitrarily called the Wilson House after John E. Wilson and his wife Thelma Crump Wilson, who owned the property from 1951 to 1974. Crump family members remain part owners today through New Kent Courthouse Village, LLC.
Erected by New Kent Courthouse Village, LLC.
Location. 37° 31.006′ N, 76° 58.789′ W. Marker is in New Kent, Virginia, in New Kent County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of New Kent Highway (Virginia Route 249) and Court House Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11861 New Kent Highway, New Kent VA 23124, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Tale of Three Structures (within shouting distance of this marker); John Parke Custis (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Martha Washington's Birthplace James Lafayette (about 600 feet away); New Kent Courthouse (about 600 feet away); McClellan’s Camp at Cumberland Landing (approx. 1.3 miles away); French Cannon at Cumberland Landing (approx. 1.3 miles away); Cumberland Town (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Kent.
More about this marker. On the lower right is a photo with the caption, "Inez Crump and Thelma Crump Wilson in front of Wilson house"
Regarding The Wilson House: Witness to Three Centuries. The Wilson House has been converted into a restaurant as part of Preservation Park, a new development at New Kent's county seat which adapts historic structures for current use.
Also see . . .
1. Rose & Crown Restaurant. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Preservation Park, New Kent Courthouse Village. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,607 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.