Macbeth in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Rehoboth Methodist Church
This church grew out of services held as early as 1811, at first in a brush arbor and later at a campground nearby. Ministers riding the Cooper River and Berkeley circuits served this congregation for many years. The first sanctuary here was given to the Methodists by area Episcopalians in 1847. Called Black Oak, it had been built in 1808 as a chapel of ease for Biggin Church.
In 1852 Charles Macbeth (1805-1881), the planter and politician for whom this community was named, donated a 15.3-acre tract to the congregation. The cemetery, which dates from the 1830s, includes the graves of Revs. John Bunch, who served 1837-38, and William J. Hutson, who served in 1870. The present sanctuary was built in 1927, during the pastorate of Rev. D. Tillman Rhodes; it was renovated in 1977.
Erected 2004 by In Memory of Barbara Weeks Goodrich by Family, Friends, and the Berkeley County Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-35.)
Location. 33° 15.763′ N, 79° 57.917′ W. Marker is in Macbeth, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Old Macbeth Road (State Highway 8-52) ľ mile west of U.S. 52, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bonneau SC 29431, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Site of Huguenot Church of Saint John's Berkeley (approx. 1.1 miles away); Biggin Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Santee Canal (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Site of Moncks Corner (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Moncks Corner (approx. 4.4 miles away); Berkeley Training High School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Wadboo Barony: Francis Marionís Last Headquarters (approx. 4.7 miles away); Wadboo Barony (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7. submitted on April 5, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.