Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lufkin Telephone Exchange

 
 
Lufkin Telephone Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 23, 2010
1. Lufkin Telephone Exchange Marker
Inscription. Telephone service in Lufkin began in 1898 when Dr. Alexander Madison Denman and his friend Judge Edwin James Mantooth strung telephone wires between their offices. The system was so popular that the pair soon formed the Lufkin Telephone Exchange with partner Eli Wiener, operating from offices on this site. In 1908 they contracted with the Southwestern Telegraph and Telephone Company to provide long distance service. The company grew as rapidly as telephone technology itself, eventually acquiring the telephone exchanges of a large portion of East Texas. In 1985 the corporation was reorganized as the Lufkin-Conroe Telephone Exchange.
 
Erected 1998. (Marker Number 11657.)
 
Location. 31° 20.415′ N, 94° 43.715′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of Frank Steet and First Street, on the right when traveling west on Frank Steet. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calder (Cotton) Square (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (about 500 feet away); Kerr's Inc.
Lufkin Telephone Exchange Mural image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, July 2, 2010
2. Lufkin Telephone Exchange Mural
This mural representing the Lufkin Telephone Exchange is directly across the street from the marker.
(about 500 feet away); KRBA-AM Radio Station (about 600 feet away); The Depot Explosion and Mystery (about 600 feet away); First Baptist Church of Lufkin (about 700 feet away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lufkin.
 
Categories. Communications
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,304 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 31, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas.   2. submitted on July 3, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement