Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
J. Gorman & Son Building
Constructed circa 1880
—Additions and renovations 1890, 1906, 1940, 2005 —
City of Berkeley Landmark
designated in 1982
John and Margaret Gorman moved their furniture and upholstery shop to this location in 1880. It is one of Berkeley's oldest commercial buildings and a surviving example of the Victorian-era "corner store." The original two-story structure fronts Telegraph Avenue. The Parker Street wing, diagonal corner entrance, and turret were added in 1906. The entire structure was renovated in 2005.
Gorman's inventory became known for the unfinished yet functional beds, bookcases, and desks that served the burgeoning university community. In the early days they also made coffins. Four generations of the family operated the business until it was sold in 1997 and later moved to Oakland.
Erected 2007 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 51.809′ N, 122° 15.511′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Parker Street, on the right when traveling north on Telegraph Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2599 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "In Tribute to Chiura Obata" (about 400 feet away, measured Soda Works Building (about 500 feet away); Mrs. E.P. (Stella) King Building (about 600 feet away); “A People’s History of Telegraph Avenue” (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Baptist Seminary of the West - Hobart Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Church of Christ, Scientist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles W. Woodworth House (approx. ¼ mile away); McCreary-Greer House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Also see . . . J. Gorman & Son Building. Berkeley Landmark's page on the Gorman Building, with pictures of the building several renovations prior to its current incarnation. By Daniella Thompson. (Submitted on March 31, 2010.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 31, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 898 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 31, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.