Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingman in Mohave County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Little Red Schoolhouse

Built 1896

 
 
Little Red Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
1. Little Red Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription.
This building has been placed on
The National Register of
Historic Places

By the United States Department of the Interior.
Little Red Schoolhouse
Built 1896
Noteworthy for its age and integrity, the "Little Red Schoolhouse" is the only pre-1900 public building extant in Kingman. It is a fine example of late Victorian architecture. One of the students who attended the school was Andy Devine, film star.
 
Erected by Arizona State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), City of Kingman Historic Preservation Commission, Main Street Kingman & National Park Service (NPS).
 
Location. 35° 11.42′ N, 114° 3.183′ W. Marker is in Kingman, Arizona, in Mohave County. Marker is on North 4th Street near East Oak Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 219 North 4th Street, Kingman AZ 86401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U. S. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Elks Lodge No. 468 (within shouting distance of this marker); Mohave Center Plaza of Valor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct
Plaque Located to the Right of the Entrance - 1974 image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
2. Plaque Located to the Right of the Entrance - 1974

The Daughters of
Mohave County Pioneers
Dedicate
The Little Red Schoolhouse
Kingman's first permanent school
As a
Historical Building
Erected 1895-1896
line); World War I Memorial (about 500 feet away); St. Mary's Catholic Church (about 600 feet away); Mohave County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Bonelli House (about 600 feet away); Hotel Brunswick (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingman.
 
Regarding Little Red Schoolhouse. In July, 1897, a Brick Yard was in operation. By the end of August, there were 200,000 bricks on fire in the kiln. The brick was to be use in the new Kingman Public School,the Little Red Schoolhouse.
Kingman’s new public school was opened at the southwest corner of Fourth and Oak Streets. The red brick structure was destined to have a long useful live in Kingman. It replaced the earlier wooden structure which had occupied the same site. The older schoolhouse was sold for $250 and moved to the area where St. Mary’s Church now resides. The building was converted into a residence.
The new school included a lecture room of 20’ x 55’, two classrooms of 20’ x 24’, a hall of 8’ x 55’, a teacher’s room of 6’ x 8’ and a cloakroom of 6’ x 11’6”. The building cost was about $4,900 and $1,100 was
Little Red Schoolhouse Marker and Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
3. Little Red Schoolhouse Marker and Plaque
used to furnish the new building.
Source: Mohave Museum of History and Arts
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Little Red Schoolhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
4. Little Red Schoolhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 2, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 873 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 2, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement