Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Liberty Hall Plantation
This inland rice plantation has its origins in a 1683 grant. In 1726 Nathaniel Moore and his wife sold a 900-acre parcel to Isaac Mazyck (d. 1736). Mazyck’s son Benjamin (d. 1800), a rice planter, cattleman, and merchant, consolidated several nearby plantations and lived here until his death, when his son Stephen (1787-1832) inherited the plantation. Stephen’s widow Mary sold it to Dr. Charles L. Desel in 1834.
Dr. Charles Lewis Desel (1795-1855), a planter and physician, owned this plantation for more than twenty years. His friend Rev. John Bachman (1790-1874), a Lutheran minister and naturalist, brought artist and naturalist John James Audubon (1785-1851) here several times to hunt and observe birds and wildlife. Liberty Hall declined after the Civil War, and was leased as a hunting preserve from 1912 to 1943.
Erected 2007 by the City of Goose Creek. (Marker Number 8-44.)
Location. 32° 59.988′ N, 80° 0.636′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of Woodward Road and Adler Drive on Woodward Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 1½ miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 1.7 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 1.8 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Springfield Plantation (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
Categories. • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,661 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.