Middlebury in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
—Town of Middlebury Greenway 2005 —
During the winter months, 200,000 pounds of ice was harvested at Lake Quassapaug and carried by trolley to Waterbury. The ice was stored and used throughout the year.
A major shipment of coal was delivered to a storage bin located near the present day Connecticut Light and Power substation, located above Judd Corner. The Station no longer exists. It was removed by the town when building the Greenway.
The coal was transferred by horse and wagon to the boiler house at Westover School.
Erected 2005 by Town of Middlebury.
Location. 41° 31.7′ N, 73° 8.58′ W. Marker is in Middlebury, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Middlebury Road (Connecticut Route 64) and Tranquility Road, on the left when traveling west on Middlebury Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middlebury CT 06762, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Quassapaug Station (approx. half a mile away); Bissel's Store, Middlebury Station (approx. 0.8 miles away); Middlebury Blacksmith Shop Julius and Augusta Bronson Farm (approx. one mile away); Middlebury Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Middlebury (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rochambeau Route 1781 – 82 (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Middlebury Fire House (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlebury.
Regarding The Trolley. The Middlebury Greenway follows the rail bed of a former trolley line which ran from the city of Waterbury to Woodbury. It was built in 1908 by the Connecticut Company and closed in 1930. In 1992, the route was turned into a multi-use trail and is now almost fully paved. For the most part, The Middlebury Greenway parallels Route 64, with extensive landscaping, fencing, granite benches and a babbling brook.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,110 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.