Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Oaks

 
 
The Oaks Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 29, 2010
1. The Oaks Marker (front)
Inscription. Marker Front:
The Oaks, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Edward Middleton (d. 1685) on a 1678 grant from the Lords Proprietors. Middleton, a planter who came to S.C. from Barbados, received 1,630 acres on Yeaman’s Creek, later renamed Goose Creek. Middleton served in several colonial offices, including as a member of the Grand Council. The Oaks passed to Middleton’s son Arthur (1681-1737), also on the Council, later President of the first Royal Council.

Marker Reverse:
Arthur Middleton’s son Henry (1717-1784) served in the Continental Congress 1774-75 and was briefly its President. He later served in the Provincial Congress and first General Assembly of S.C. The original house here burned in 1840, long after the Middletons sold the property. The present house was built 1892 for Maine businessman Edwin Parsons, and renovated in 1930 by New York banker Charles Sabin. It has been The Oaks Plantation Golf & Country Club since 1964.
 
Erected 2008 by the Rotary Club of Goose Creek. (Marker Number 8-54.)
 
Location. 32° 59.031′ N, 80° 2.135′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is at the intersection of The Oaks Avenue and
The Oaks Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 29, 2010
2. The Oaks Marker (reverse)
Middleton Drive on The Oaks Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Oaks Plantation Golf & Country Club. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Goose Creek Church (approx. half a mile away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. half a mile away); St. James, Goose Creek (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 1.1 miles away); Button Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goose Creek.
 
Also see . . .  Oaks Plantation - Goose Creek Berkeley County South Carolina SC. (Submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
The Oaks Club House image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 29, 2010
3. The Oaks Club House
The Oaks Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, March 29, 2010
4. The Oaks Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,530 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 4, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement