Near Ratcliff in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Four C Mill
The company built houses and a company store at the mill, and several logging camps in the forest to house and feed lumberjacks. Hostility erupted when the town of Ratcliff was begun nearby, competing for the workers' trade. The company erected a 16-foot fence between the mill and Ratcliff. It was dynamited several times, thwarting attempts to establish a company-controlled town.
By 1917, the company had exhausted its 120,000 acres of land. Due to the shortage of good timber, the mill was shut down and dismantled in 1920.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7040.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ratcliff TX 75858, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ratcliff (approx. half a mile away); Ratcliff CCC Camp (approx. 0.7 miles away); Community of Coltharp (approx. 1½ miles away); Hagerville Community (approx. 1½ miles away); Former Rosenwald School (approx. 2.6 miles away); Kennard (approx. 2.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Kennard (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin (approx. 11.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ratcliff.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 817 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.