Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The “Austin Statesman”

 
 
The “Austin Statesman” image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
1. The “Austin Statesman”
Inscription. Begun as the “Democratic Statesman” in 1871 by the Democratic Party, in opposition to radical Reconstruction government in Texas. Quickly passed into private ownership popular first editor was attorney John Cardwell.

Published daily since 1873, paper merged with “Austin American” in 1924.
 
Erected 1970 by the State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 14219.)
 
Location. 30° 15.499′ N, 97° 44.627′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker can be reached from Congress Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 S Congress Ave, Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Headquarters of the United States Army for 5th Military District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grinninger Fence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Austin, C.S.A. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Congress Avenue (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas School for the Deaf (approx. 0.4 miles away); F. Weigl Iron Works (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Academy (approx. 0.4 miles away); J.P. Schneider Store (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
 
Also see . . .
The “Austin Statesman” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
2. The “Austin Statesman” Marker
 The Austin Statesman. (Submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
 
Categories. Communications
 
The “Austin Statesman” Building image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
3. The “Austin Statesman” Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 530 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 5, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement