Kennard in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Former Rosenwald School
(Now “The Little Red Schoolhouse")
Alfred Foy (1865-1944), a veteran of brush arbor and log cabin classrooms, taught in this building at Ratcliff 1920-23 and 1924-27; Miss Detroit Denman, 1923-24; Mrs. Evola Colbert Dorn, 1927-55. Their pupils' playground equipment consisted of a baseball diamond, basketball goal, mulberry tree and swing. Yet patrons--true to zeal that helped obtain the building--brought in food and saw that the children had hot lunches.
Sessions ceased in 1955 when the Ratcliff school was consolidated with Kennard Common School District No. 75. The Ratcliff building was used 1955-68 as the community center for socials and public meetings. In 1968 the "Old Rosenwald School" was moved to Kennard for use by Headstart and related programs.
Texas had a total of 518 school buildings funded by the Rosenwald Foundation--22 of them in Houston County--providing classrooms for thousands.
Erected 1973 by Texas State Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 11241.)
Marker series. Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 31° 21.678′ N, 95° 10.8′ W. Marker is in Kennard, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on State Highway 7, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kennard TX 75847, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kennard (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Kennard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Community of Coltharp (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hagerville Community (approx. 1.2 miles away); Four C Mill (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ratcliff (approx. 3.2 miles away); Ratcliff CCC Camp (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin (approx. 12.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennard.
Categories. • African Americans • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 6, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.