Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nazareth in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Whitefield House

 
 
Whitfield House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, April 3, 2010
1. Whitfield House Marker
Inscription. Whitefield House, planned by George Whitefield in 1740 when he obtained 5,000 acres of land for a Negro school and began by Peter Boehler and several Brethern. Purchased by the Moravians, 1741. Completed for a family house, 1743. Converted into a boarding school for girls 1745 and into a nursery for children of missionaries three years later used as a home for retired mission workers since 1764 except for the years 1855-1858 when it was occupied by the theological seminary seat of the Moravian Historical Society and Museum since 1871
 
Erected 1931 by Pennsylvania Historical Commission and Moravian Historical Society.
 
Location. 40° 44.539′ N, 75° 18.422′ W. Marker is in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on East Center Street west of North New Street (Pennsylvania Route 191), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The plaque is affixed to the north end of Whitfield House, on the left side of the entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 214 East Center Street, Nazareth PA 18064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nazareth (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Whitefield House
Wide view of the Whitefield House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, April 3, 2010
2. Wide view of the Whitefield House Marker
The plaque is affixed to the house on the left hand side of the door.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christian Frederick Martin (approx. 0.4 miles away); Portland Cement (approx. 1.7 miles away); Moses Tunda Tatamy (approx. 2.5 miles away); Henry's Gun Factory (approx. 3 miles away); Sullivan Campaign (approx. 5.6 miles away); Easton (was approx. 5.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nazareth.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Whitefield House (1743) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, April 3, 2010
3. The Whitefield House (1743)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 681 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement