Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas
Original members included Isaac W. Burton, Kelsey Douglass, Haden Edwards, John H. Hyde, John W. Lowe, George A. Nixon, John S. Roberts, Adolphus Sterne and Frost Thorne. The newly constituted lodge first met in the Old Stone Fort for three consecutive nights following the chartering ceremony. Charles S. Taylor, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, and Thomas J. Rusk, soldier and statesman, were initiated into the lodge that week. Many other significant men in the Republic of Texas were members of Milam Lodge. The Holland, Milam and McFarland Lodges (renumbered No. 1, 2 and 3) organized the Grand Lodge of Texas in December 1837.
Promoting education was one of the chief community activities of Freemasons in Texas; the Milam Lodge helped establish and operate Nacogdoches University in 1845.
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14133.)
Location. 31° 36.258′ N, 94° 39.228′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on Fredonia Street south of West Hospital Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129 North Fredonia Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the home of James Dill (about 500 feet away); Texas Stagecoaches, C.S.A. (about 500 feet away); Battle of Nacogdoches (about 600 feet away); Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office (about 600 feet away); Durst-Taylor House The Fredonia Rebellion (about 600 feet away); Thomas Jefferson Rusk (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Notable Persons • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,152 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 11, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.