Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
R.L. Bryan Co. Warehouse
This warehouse was built in 1913 as the schoolbook depository for the R.L. Bryan Company. The company, founded in 1844 by R.L. Bryan (1823-1900) and his brother-in-law James J. McCarter (d. 1872), was originally a bookstore and stationery shop on Main St. known as Bryan & McCarter. In 1900 R.L. Bryan & Company merged with the Bryan Printing Company, founded in 1889, to become the R.L. Bryan Company.
In 1901 the S.C. General Assembly, in an effort to improve public education, adopted standardized texts. The R.L. Bryan Company, selected as the statewide distributor, used this building as its depository and warehouse from 1913 to 1973. In 1976 the building was renovated and opened as a restaurant, in one of the first examples of the adaptive reuse of historic buildings in this part of Columbia.
Erected 2003 by The Historic Columbia Foundation. (Marker Number 40-128.)
Location. 34° 0.048′ N, 81° 2.426′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Lady Street near Gadsden Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Seaboard Air-Line Railway Station #2 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Seaboard Air Line Passenger Station (about 600 feet away); Gadsden Street (about 600 feet away); Seaboard Air-Line Railway Station #1 (about 600 feet away); Site of Wayside Hospital (about 600 feet away); Lincoln Street (about 700 feet away); USS Columbia CL-56 (about 700 feet away); "The Spirit of the American Doughboy " (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 727 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 13, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.