Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pulaski in Giles County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center

 
 
The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 14, 2010
1. The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker
Inscription. The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Popularly known as the Rock Church, this beautiful chapel of Gothic architectural design was constructed by native limestone and was dedicated as the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church on August 10, 1941. A significant financial contribution toward the construction of the church was made by Mrs. Ethel V. Mars and her daughter Mrs. Allan Feeney. The donation was made in memory of Mr. Frank Mars, founder of the Mars Candy Company and owner of Milky Way Farms.

The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church was located at 416 South First Street and was the center of worship for the Catholic congregation until July 10, 1984 when the building was sold to the adjacent First Baptist Church. The building was renamed Mars Chapel and was used by the First Baptist Church as a wedding chapel and youth activity center.

In 2002 the congregation of First Baptist Church donated the building to the Trail of Tears Memorial Committee with the stipulation that the building be relocated. The Trail of Tears Association then announced plans to utilize the rock church building as a Trail of Tears Interpretive Center and dedicate it to the Native Americans moved from their land by the Indian Removal Act of 1830. Community activists raised the necessary funds for relocating the building and on October
The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, April 14, 2010
2. The Trail of Tears Interpretive Center Marker
31, 2002 the entire 300 ton structure was placed on a 122-wheel trailer and moved three blocks to its present location.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Trail of Tears marker series.
 
Location. 35° 11.739′ N, 87° 1.796′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Tennessee, in Giles County. Marker is on Stadium Street near East College Street. Touch for map. Near Elkton Elementary School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 229 Stadium Street, Pulaski TN 38478, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Benge Route (a few steps from this marker); The Bell Route (a few steps from this marker); Giles County Trail of Tears Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Nunahi-Duna-Dlo-Hily-I (within shouting distance of this marker); Trail of Tears (within shouting distance of this marker); Sam Davis Avenue Historic District (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Adams (about 700 feet away); South Pulaski Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pulaski.
 
Categories. GovernmentMan-Made FeaturesNative AmericansNotable Events
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 957 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement