Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Crown Inn

 
 
Crown Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, April 4, 2010
1. Crown Inn Marker
Inscription. A two-story log inn, built here in 1745, was Bethlehem's first public house. Located near the ferry that crossed the Lehigh River, it was visited by famous political and military leaders of the era. A bridge replaced the ferry, 1794, and the inn closed; was razed, 1857.
 
Erected 1954 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 36.792′ N, 75° 22.985′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Riverside Drive 0.1 miles north of West 3rd Street (County Road 412), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert H. Sayre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edwin L. Drake (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eugene Gifford Grace (approx. mile away); Charles M. Schwab (approx. 0.3 miles away); Samuel Wetherill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Continental Army Honored Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); West Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brethren's House (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
 
More about this marker. The marker is visible from the southern approaches
Wide view of the Crown Inn Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, April 4, 2010
2. Wide view of the Crown Inn Marker
(Wyandotte Street) to the Lehigh River Bridge.
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
The site of the Crown Inn and Lehigh River ferry image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, April 4, 2010
3. The site of the Crown Inn and Lehigh River ferry
The area is now occupied by Union (railroad) Station (circa 1925) which recently has been converted into a medical outpatient facility.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 16, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement