Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Monterey's Commercial Fishing Fleet
Monterey's Commerical Fishing Fleet.
It once boasted the largest sardine fishing industry in the world, an industry that flourished until the late 1940's. Commercial fishing was pioneered and developed here by the Sicilian fishermen, whose courage and vision contributed significantly to the history and culture of Monterey. Our Bay continues to rank as one of the major fishing areas on the West Coast.
The "Santa Maria" is an original Monterey-style boat, with her distinctive bow and rounded stern. Designed for these waters, this type of vessel is internationally known as a "double-ender". She was built in 1918 and skippered by three generations of the Sal Di Franco Family, who fished this Bay from the turn of the century.
The Fisherman's Wharf Association purchased the "Santa Maria" in 1975 and, in conjunction with the City of Monterey, created this living tribute to the memory of those gallant fishermen who played such an important role in the economic and spiritual growth of the beautiful Monterey Bay Area. Dedicated 1970.
Location. 36° 36.067′ N, 121° 53.541′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is located on the Monterey Peninsula Recreation Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey CA 93940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Local Railway Led the Way to America's Salad Bowl. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monterey's Historic Railway -- from Passengers to Industry (about 300 feet away); Monterey and Salinas Valley Railroad (about 500 feet away); Captain Don Gaspar de Portola (about 600 feet away); Monterey Harbor (about 700 feet away); Rodriguez – Osio Adobe (about 700 feet away); Monterey Customhouse (about 700 feet away); Custom House (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
More about this marker. The marker is located at the entrance to the municipal marina, where Del Monte Avenue splits off onto Lighthouse Avenue.
Also see . . . Looking Back: The Canneries. CanneryRow.com's history of canneries and the fishing industry in Monterey. (Submitted on April 17, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 17, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 2,103 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2010, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.