Newtown in Bucks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Newtown Heritage Walk No. 16
The Newtown Commons was designed to be land shared by everyone in the Borough and Township. Unfortunately, because no one owned the land, no one took care of it. It appears that some people simply moved onto the land, built a house and lived there. As early as 1715, people in Newtown petitioned the County Court to appoint Trustees to manage the land. In 1796, the Commons was divided into lots and put up for sale. Most of the lots were sold by 1826.
The lot containing the property at 221 North Sycamore Street was sold to William Brooks in April 1824. In the deed, Brooks is described as one “who appears to be legally possessed thereof.” From records, it is reasoned that Brooks had lived on the land and probably paid rent to the Trustees before he actually purchased it. The Brooks family lived on this property until 1858. The building located on this site has been restored and is now the site of Carriage House Collection.
One of the last members of the Brooks family who owned this property was George Brooks who also owned the Livery Stable on Centre Avenue. George Brooks sold his livery stable to James Cornell, who continued the business into the 1900s, and is shown at left.
Erected 2007 by The Newtown Historical Association and Carriage House Collection/Robert
Location. 40° 14.028′ N, 74° 56.258′ W. Marker is in Newtown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Sycamore Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221 N. Sycamore Street, Newtown PA 18940, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boyd-Yardley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Goodnoe Farm & Dairy Bar (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Randall Double House (about 400 feet away); William Penn's New Town (about 500 feet away); Old Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Elinor Slack Campbell (about 700 feet away); Durham Road Toll House (about 800 feet away); Newtown Common & Creek (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newtown.
Also see . . . Newtown Heritage Walk. (Submitted on April 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 616 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 7. submitted on April 16, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.