Milam in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John C. Hale
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13641.)
Location. 31° 25.962′ N, 93° 50.766′ W. Marker is in Milam, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is on State Highway 21 east of State Highway 87, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milam TX 75959, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Milam Masonic Institute (here, next to this marker); The Old San Antonio Road Milam (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Milam (about 400 feet away); C.A. Nethery & Sons General Merchandise (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matthew Arnold Parker (approx. 2.7 miles away); Kings Highway (approx. 4.3 miles away); Gaines Memorial Bridge (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milam.
Regarding John C. Hale. As noted on Handbook of Texas Online:
“John C. Hale, early settler and soldier in the Texas revolution, was born on April 3, 1806, in Virginia; he came to Texas from Louisiana and settled in what became San Augustine County in the Sabine District. He was elected first lieutenant of Capt. Benjamin Franklin Bryant's Company K of Col. Sidney Sherman's Second Regiment, Texas Volunteers. He was killed in action at the battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836, and buried at the battlefield. Hale County is named in his honor. Hale's heirs received grants of 320 acres on May 24, 1850, 640 acres on November 8, 1851, and 640 acres on May 24, 1850. Hale was married to Barshaba (Miller). After his death she married Samuel H. Davis, administrator of Hale's estate.
A John K. Hale came to Texas in 1831 from Maine and also settled in the Sabine District. The two settlers were about the same age and have been confused."
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,234 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. 2. submitted on August 6, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.