Riverton in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
In Honor of Lambert Hitchcock
(1795 – 1852), this village was
once known as Hitchcocks-ville.
Here he originated his chairs &
cabinet furniture with Sheraton
influence and in 1826 built his
water powered mill employing a
hundred persons. In 1866 the
name was changed to Riverton.
Location. 41° 57.718′ N, 73° 1.181′ W. Marker is in Riverton, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverton Road (Connecticut Route 20) and Robertsville Road, on the right when traveling south on Riverton Road. Touch for map. Located in front of the Riverton Post Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Riverton Road, Riverton CT 06065, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Riverton (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Riverton (about 500 feet away); Lambert Hitchcock (about 600 feet away); Henry Robinson Buck (approx. 1.4 miles away); Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village (approx. 1.5 miles away); Peoples State Forest (approx. Barkhamsted Lighthouse Village Cemetery (approx. 1.5 miles away); Camp White (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Riverton.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.