Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roe in Carteret County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Ocracoke Inlet

 
 
Ocracoke Inlet Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 16, 2010
1. Ocracoke Inlet Marker
Inscription. Once chief trade inlet of N.C. In 1718 pirate "Blackbeard" was killed near there, 17 mi. N.E., across Pamlico Sound.
 
Erected 1989 by Division of Archives and History. (Marker Number C 4.)
 
Location. 35° 1.059′ N, 76° 18.919′ W. Marker is in Roe, North Carolina, in Carteret County. Marker is on Cedar Island Rd. (State Highway 12) north of Sound View Drive, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the grass in the traffic circle, near the entrance to the Cedar Island / Ocracoke Ferry terminal. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar Island NC 28520, United States of America.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Blackbeard the Pirate - North Carolina Maritime Museum. (Submitted on April 27, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. November 22, 1718 - The Death of Blackbeard. This Month in NC History, from the University of North Carolina website. (Submitted on September 1, 2010, by Patrick G. Jordan of Burlington, North Carolina.) 
 
Additional keywords. Edward
Ocracoke Inlet Marker - right, near the entrance to the Cedar Island Ferry Terminal image. Click for full size.
By Richard E. Miller, April 16, 2010
2. Ocracoke Inlet Marker - right, near the entrance to the Cedar Island Ferry Terminal
Thatch; criminal; Outer Banks.

 
Categories. Colonial EraNatural FeaturesNotable PersonsNotable PlacesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 20, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement