Mason in Mason County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Fort Mason
by the U. S. Army
as a protection to the frontier
Named in honor of Lieut. George T. Mason,
killed in action near Brownsville,
April 25, 1846
Albert Sidney Johnston,
George H. Thomas, Earl Van Dorn
and Robert E. Lee,
of the 2nd U. S. Cavalry,
were stationed here at intervals
from 1856 to 1861
Evacuated by Federal troops,
March 29, 1861
and reoccupied after the Civil War
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 11275.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 30° 44.398′ N, 99° 13.992′ W. Marker is in Mason, Texas, in Mason County. Marker is at the intersection of Spruce Street and Post Hill Street, on the right when traveling west on Spruce Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mason TX 76856, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason National Bank (approx. half a mile away); Mason County Jail (approx. half a mile away); Fort Mason & Camp Llano C.S.A. Mason County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mason County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Two Sheriffs of Mason County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Fort Mason (approx. 1.9 miles away); Todd Mountain (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mason.
Also see . . . Fort Mason. From Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on April 21, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,196 times since then and 67 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.