Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Exchange
by Act of
The General Assembly of
The British Colony of South Carolina
Completed in 1771
Deeded in 1917
by The United States Congress
to the South Carolina State Society
Daughters of the American Revolution
to be held in trust for
The Rebecca Motte Chapter DAR
Erected 1990 by the South Carolina State Society, NSDAR.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 46.612′ N, 79° 55.622′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on East Bay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 122 E Bay St, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Convention on Ratification (a few steps from this marker); One Broad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker, Evans & Cogswell Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee Cohen Harby (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Bank of the United States As Old as Charleston (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Farmers and Exchange Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding The Old Exchange. ... In Charleston, enslaved African Americans were customarily sold on the north side of the Old Exchange Building. An 1856 city ordinance prohibited this practice of public sales, resulting in the opening of the Old Slave Mart and a number of other sales rooms, yards, or marts along Chalmers, State and Queen Streets.
Also see . . .
1. The History Of The Old Exchange. The Old Exchange Building housed the Charleston Post Office from 1815 to 1896 with brief interruptions due to earthquake and war. (Submitted on March 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. National Historic Landmark Website. The Old Exchange page on the National Historic Landmark website. (Submitted on October 26, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
3. Jewish Women's Archive: Leah Cohen Harby (Submitted on April 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. Exchange and Provost. The Exchange and Provost Building, built 1767-1771, served during the last quarter of the 18th century as a customhouse, public market, public meeting place, military prison and barracks. (Submitted on December 13, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Additional keywords. Customhouse; Provost Dungeon; Slavery; Lee Cohen Harby.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,359 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on April 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2. submitted on December 13, 2011, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 19, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 7, 8. submitted on April 22, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 9. submitted on August 8, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 10. submitted on January 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 11. submitted on August 14, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.