Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Maupin - Maury House
Location. 37° 32.498′ N, 77° 25.83′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on East Clay Street near North 11th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is located on the front of the MCV Alumni House at Virginia Commonwealth University. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1016 East Clay Street, Richmond VA 23298, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matthew Fontaine Maury (here, next to this marker); Wickham-Valentine House (a few steps from this marker); Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Valentine Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Edward V. Valentine Sculpture Studio Alexander H. Stephens House Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); White House of the Confederacy (about 300 feet away); Presidentís Mansion (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. The Greek Revival house, originally located at 1105 E. Clay St., was built in 1846 by Dr. Socrates Maupin, a founding faculty member of MCV. Maupin subsequently sold the house to Robert H. Maury. During an 1861 visit with his cousin, Robert, Matthew Fontaine Maury conducted the now famed bathtub experiments that led to the development of the underwater torpedo. The MCV Alumni Association purchased the Maupin-Maury House in 1943 and in 1993 renovated and relocated the house to 1016 E. Clay St. MCV Alumni Association
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.