Flemingsburg in Fleming County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
James J. Andrews
Erected by The Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 173.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 25.368′ N, 83° 43.989′ W. Marker is in Flemingsburg, Kentucky, in Fleming County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Cross Street (State Highway 57) and Main Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Cross Street. Touch for map. Located on the opposite side of the street from the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Flemingsburg KY 41041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fleming Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Fleming County (a few steps from this marker); John F. Day (1913-1982) (within shouting distance of this marker); Gorman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Tobacco Plug Factory (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Birthplace of Herman Chittison / Accomplished Jazz Pianist (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockton's Station (approx. half a mile away); Michael Cassidy (1755-1829) (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flemingsburg.
1. Andrews Raid
The Andrews Raid in 1862 became the subject of the 1950s Disney film, "The Great Locomotive Chase," starring Fess Parker as James J. Andrews.
Andrews was hanged not long after he was captured, and is buried in the Chattanooga National Cemetery, next to an ornate monument of the locomotive "The General."
— Submitted April 23, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,470 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on April 24, 2010, by Karl Stelly of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.