Trinidad in Henderson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Trinity River
The fertile Trinity floodplain drew Anglo-American settlers to this area during the Republic of Texas. Buffalo, first Henderson County Seat, was founded a few miles upstream at a ferry crossing. Navigation of the Trinity has been proposed in a number of ambitious plans since the 1850s. Steamboats plied the river carrying cotton, cattle, and lumber to Galveston and other Gulf of Mexico ports until the 1870s. Arrival of the railroad ended the era of riverboat trade.
Founded in 1881 on the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad, also known as the Cotton Belt, the town of Trinidad had a pump station to draw water for the boilers of steam locomotives. A ferry crossed the Trinity here until a bridge was erected in 1900.
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 32° 8.844′ N, 96° 5.659′ W. Marker is in Trinidad, Texas, in Henderson County. Marker is on State Highway 31 west of Farm to Market Road 764 (State Highway 274), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trinidad TX 75163, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Malakoff Man (here, next to this marker); First Baptist Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); William Richardson (approx. 12.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Trinity River. Article in the Handbook of Texas online describes the geography and history of the Trinity River, including steamboat navigation and reccent pollution issues. (Submitted on May 9, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 23, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,048 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 23, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.