Capitol Hill in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ebenezer United Methodist Church
400 D Street, SE
óAfrican American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC ó
Ebenezer United Methodist Church is Capitol Hillís oldest independent Black congregation. Ebenezer UMC was founded in 1827 by African Americans who left a biracial church on Capitol Hill because the White congregants practiced segregation. The neew congregation purchased land here and built a small frame structure. In 1864 Ebenezer UMC gained its first African American minister, Reverend Noah Jones, and housed the cityís first publicly financed school for Black children. Emma V. Brown, an accomplished poet and the cityís first African American public school teacher, was one of two teachers in the school. The current church was completed in 1897.
Sunlight illuminates the pews of Ebenezer United Methodist Church. (Photo by Bill Lebovich.)
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC: DC Historic District.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington, DC African American Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 38° 53.062′ N, 77° 0.028′ W. Marker is in Capitol Hill, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on D Street, SE near 4th Street, SE. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 D Street, SE, Washington DC 20003, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Ebenezer United Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Little Ebenezer (a few steps from this marker); American Legion Post 8 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Original Site Of Providence Hospital (about 700 feet away); Life on the Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Capitol in Flames (approx. ľ mile away); Destroying the Library (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Capitol Hill.
Categories. • African Americans • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Education • Notable Events • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,780 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 24, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.