Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Fredonia Rebellion
December 16, 1826 to January 28, 1827
Edwards had obtained a grant from Mexico to settle 800 families in East Texas in the Nacogdoches area. Unfortunately for him, much of the land had already been settled - legally and illegally - by the early Spanish, by Indians, and by Anglo squatters. Edwards' intrusion caused such a disturbance that the Mexican government revoked his grant.
Disappointed over the loss of his grant, on December 16, 1826, Haden and his brother Benjamin rode into Nacogdoches, planted their flag in front of the Stone Fort, and proclaimed the Republic of Fredonia. They had formed an uncertain alliance with the Cherokees, thus the reason for the red and white colors of the flag. The flag carried the words "Independence Freedom and Justice" and the signatures of sixteen of the original Fredonians.
The name "Fredonia" had been coined in the early days of the American republic and was poetically used, as was the term "Columbia," in reference to the United States, "Fredonia" implied "a place of freedom."
The Fredonian army consisted of no more than thirty men. Their Cherokees allies deserted them. Stephen F. Austin raised a militia to put down the East Texas rebellion.
The Fredonians gave up their cause on January 28, 1827, and retreated eastward across the Sabine.
Location. 31° 36.168′ N, 94° 39.276′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 21/7) near Fredonia Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 276 East Main Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Nacogdoches (a few steps from this marker); Texas Stagecoaches, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Ingraham Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Homesite of John S. Roberts (within shouting distance of this marker); Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Gladys Hampton Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chas. Hoya Land Office (about 300 feet away); On this site stood the old "Red House" (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 2,609 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.