Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Early Howard School Site

 
 
Early Howard School Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Early Howard School Site Marker
Inscription. On this site stood Howard School, a public school for blacks established after the Civil War. By 1869 there was a two-story frame building large enough for 800 pupils. Partially funded by the Freedmen's Bureau, the school reportedly was named for Oliver O. Howard, first commissioner, Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands. For years the only public school for blacks in Columbia, Howard was moved 5 blocks NW, 1924.
 
Erected 1990 by The Howard School Community Club. (Marker Number 40-112.)
 
Location. 34° 0.226′ N, 81° 2.44′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Hampton Street (State Highway 12) near Lincoln Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Carolina State Vietnam War Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Columbia (S.C.) Holocaust Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Big Apple (about 700 feet away); A Tribute To All U.S. Military Personnel On This Day Of Infamy (about 800 feet away); Nathaniel J. Frederick House
Early Howard School Site Marker, near the intersection of Hampton Street and Lincoln Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 27, 2010
2. Early Howard School Site Marker, near the intersection of Hampton Street and Lincoln Street
(about 800 feet away); Entrance to Cemetery of the Columbia Hebrew Benevolent Society (about 800 feet away); China - Burna - India Veterans (about 800 feet away); Korean War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
Also see . . .  Oliver Otis Howard, Wikipedia entry. From May 1865 to July 1874, General Howard was commissioner of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands. He was placed in command of the Department of the Columbia in 1874, went west to Washington Territory's Fort Vancouver, where he fought in the Indian Wars, particularly against the Nez Perce, with the resultant surrender of Chief Joseph. (Submitted on May 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. African AmericansEducationNotable Buildings
 
Early Howard School Site Marker, looking west along Hampton Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 27, 2010
3. Early Howard School Site Marker, looking west along Hampton Street
General Oliver Otis Howard image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Brady-Handy Collection
4. General Oliver Otis Howard
For whom the school was named after
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,261 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement