Acworth in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Old Allatoona Church
June 3. Hovey’s (1st) Div., 23d A. C. [US] drove Armstrong’s cavalry [CS] from the road, thereby uncovering right of Confederate line -- Walker’s Div., Hardee’s Corps -- near the Foster house 1 mile, S. W.
Seizure of this road broke the 10-day stalemate & the opposing line shifted East to the Kennesaw front.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-30.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 0.603′ N, 84° 42.88′ W. Marker is in Acworth, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on County Line Road 0 miles south of Kings Tree Pass, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Acworth GA 30101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site ~ Mason’s Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); James Foster House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Hardee’s, Hood’s & French’s H’dq’rs. (approx. 2.1 miles away); Peters-Davenport House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Route of Polk’s Corps (approx. 2.2 miles away); Cross Roads Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Durham House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Stilesboro-Sandtown Crossroads (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Acworth.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 931 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.