Near Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Smyrna Church was organized about 1786, by the Rev. John Newton and the Rev. John Simpson, Presbyterian ministers under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Presbytery. Services were at first held in the homes of the members. The first Smyrna church edifice, built on this site in 1793, was of logs, with a steeple. The first regular pastor was the Rev. John Springer, who preached here until 1801. About 1820, the church membership declined to fifteen, and these removed to Washington, to affiliate with the Washington Presbyterian Church.
At this time, the Smyrna Presbyterians, through their elders, tendered the use of the church edifice to the Methodists, who accepted and soon established a flourishing Methodist Society here. The old church was in use until 1860, when it was torn down and a new building erected. On October 6, 1886, the title to Smyrna Church was passed from the Trustees of the Washington Presbyterian Church to the Trustees of the Smyrna Methodist Church. In 1911, a new building was constructed, the third Smyrna on this site.
In the 1840s, an encampment was prepared near the church, and was used as a camp ground by both Presbyterians and Methodists.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-19.)
Marker series. Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 42.893′ N, 82° 39.288′ W. Marker is near Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of South Smyrna Church Road and Lincolnton Road (U.S. 378), on the right when traveling east on South Smyrna Church Road. Touch for map. Marker stands on west side of South Smyrna Church Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Smyrna Church Road, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Smyrna Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Smyrna Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Grant's Meeting House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wynne-Randall (approx. 4˝ miles away); Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Historic Dugas Home (approx. 4.7 miles away); K.A. Wilheit House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sims-Beggs House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Wisteria Hall (approx. 4.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker. From US 78 and US 378 east of Washington, Georgia, follow US 378 (Lincolnton Road) 3.5 miles to Smyrna United Methodist
Regarding Smyrna Church. The Smyrna Church or Smyrna Methodist Church is the successor to an earlier Smyrna Presbyterian Church at this site, the land for which was given by Sir John Talbot. Its surrounding churchyard (see other nearby markers) includes a large cemetery. The church building is a white, wooden frame chapel with a steeple and stained glass windows, with chimneys and a rear annex of red brick.
As of October, 2009, the Rev. Richard Broom holds Sunday services at 9:30, followed by Sunday School at 10:30.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Historical Marker for the Washington Presbyterian Church.
Additional keywords. Sir John Talbot
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5, 6. submitted on May 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on November 14, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.