Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Cannonball House

 
 
The Cannonball House Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 1, 2010
1. The Cannonball House Marker
Inscription. The War of 1812 had a major impact on the town of Lewes and surrounding area. The naval blockade that was initiated by the British in March of 1813 lasted for most of the next two years. With maritime commerce limited, the local economy suffered. The regular presence of troops resulted in the use of many structures in the town for military purposes, and a camp for militia and U.S. Army Regulars was established near Blockhouse Pond. During the bombardment of Lewes on April 6th and 7th, 1813, numerous homes and businesses were damaged by naval fire from the British squadron. Known today as the Cannonball House, this structure still bears visible traces of the engagement including an iron cannonball that is lodged in its foundation. Built circa 1760 and enlarged in the 1790s, the house was then the residence of the McCracken family. Owner Gilbert McCracken and his son Henry were among the many bay and river pilots who served in Delaware militia companies that provided important service in the successful defense of Lewes during the war.

The Cannonball House was purchased by the Lewes Historical Society in 1963. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Delaware Public Archives - 2003 SC-168
 
Erected 2003. (Marker Number SC-168.)
 
Location.
Another Cannonball House Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 1, 2010
2. Another Cannonball House Marker
This one is on the Front Street side of the house. This marker reads: "Last remaining Lewes house bearing the scar of the War of 1812. Patch on foundation shows where a cannonball struck on April 6th or 7th in the year 1813. Restored by Lewes Historical Society."
38° 46.553′ N, 75° 8.357′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Bank Street and Front Street on Bank Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Explorations of Giovanni da Verrazzano (a few steps from this marker); The Bombardment of Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Bombardment of Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); The War of 1812 (within shouting distance of this marker); Otis H. Smith City Dock (within shouting distance of this marker); Dodds Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); The New Devon Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
 
Categories. War of 1812
 
Second Marker and Cannonball image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 1, 2010
3. Second Marker and Cannonball
The cannonball is in the lower right of this picture, in the brick foundation.
The Cannonball image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 1, 2010
4. The Cannonball
The Cannonball House image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, May 1, 2010
5. The Cannonball House
Both markers are in the foreground.
The Cannonball House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
6. The Cannonball House and Marker
You Are Here image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 3, 2013
7. You Are Here
Map on the outdoor bulletin board at Cannonball House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2010, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,095 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2010, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   6. submitted on October 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   7. submitted on February 16, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement