Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Diboll in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Diboll

 
 
Diboll Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 2, 2010
1. Diboll Marker
Inscription. A sawmill established here in 1894 by T.L.L. Temple gave rise to a town that by 1900 contained a commissary, post office, churches, homes, and schools run by the Southern Pine Lumber Company. The town was named for the Diboll family of New Orleans from whom Temple initially purchased timber rights. Diboll remained a company town until Southern Pine Lumber Company began promoting private ownership of homes and businesses in the 1950s. Diboll was incorporated in 1962 and today boasts a multi-ethnic citizenry which supports numerous community activities.
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6989.)
 
Location. 31° 11.269′ N, 94° 46.881′ W. Marker is in Diboll, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on North Temple Drive (U.S. 59) near Kenley Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is front of City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 Kenley Street, Diboll TX 75941, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Thomas Lewis Latane Temple (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Diboll Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Methodist Church of Diboll
Diboll Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 2, 2010
2. Diboll Marker
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Emporia (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ryan Chapel (approx. 2.1 miles away); Burke Methodist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Burke School (approx. 3.2 miles away); Prairie Grove (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Diboll.
 
Categories. Horticulture & ForestryIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,412 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement