Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In Memoriam U.S.S Maine
Destroyed in Havana Harbor
February 15th, 1898
This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine
Tablet secured for Richard Westnedge Camp No-16, United Spanish War Veterans by past Commander Gus L. Stein August 15-1913.
Boulder presented by Holland Simmons of Orcutt Post No-79, G.A.R.
Erected 1913 by Richard Westnedge Camp No. 16, United Spanish War Veterans, Department of Michigan and Orcutt Post No. 79, Grand Army of the Republic.
Marker series. This marker is included in the U.S.S. Maine Memorial Plaques marker series.
Location. 42° 17.425′ N, 85° 35.121′ W. Marker is in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of West South Street and Saint John Place, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. This marker is located in the south central portion of Bronson Park directly north of Saint John Place. Marker is in this post office area: Kalamazoo MI 49007, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spanish War Veterans Monument (here, next to this marker); Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo Lincoln at Kalamazoo (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); First Women's Club in Michigan (about 600 feet away); Kalamazoo Gazette (approx. 0.2 miles away); Epaphroditus Ransom (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalamazoo.
Also see . . . The Spanish American War Centennial Website - Battleship Maine. This website chronicles the Maine, its destruction in Havana Harbor, several of the crew members, and the various theories of the reason for its demise. (Submitted on May 5, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa.)
Categories. • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 5, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa. This page has been viewed 936 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 5, 2010, by John Desaulniers, Jr. of Mingo, Iowa. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.