Wilton in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Joseph Edward Turner, M.D.
1822 – 1889
Founder And Medical Superintendent
Of The First Inebriate Asylum
In The World At Binghampton N.Y.
1858 – 1866
The First Physician
To Put Unto Practical Operation
The Treatment Of Inebriety
As A Disease
By The Methods He Instituted
Thousands Have Been Redeemed
The Principles Of Christianity Advanced
To Perpetuate His Memory
And Mark His Resting Place
This Stone Is Erected
American Medical Society
For The Study Of Alcohol And Other Narcotics
"The Memory Of The Just Is Blessed"
Erected 1909 by American Medical Society For The Study Of Alcohol And Other Narcotics.
Location. 41° 11.888′ N, 73° 26.658′ W. Marker is in Wilton, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker can be reached from Ridgefield Road (Connecticut Route 33) 0.2 miles north of Belden Hill Road, on the left when traveling north. Located in Hillside Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilton CT 06897, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Major Samuel Comstock (a few steps from this marker); Hillside Cemetery World War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilton Roll of Honor (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wilton Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Wilton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Captain Clapp Raymond (approx. 1.2 miles away); Weston (approx. 3.4 miles away); Weston Vietnam War & Persian Gulf War Monument (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilton.
Also see . . . The History of The First Inebriate Asylum on Google Books. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for Joseph Edward Turner, M.D..
Credits. This page was last revised on November 8, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,010 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 8, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.