Bidwell in Gallia County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The village of Bidwell, once known as Heatly, was surveyed in 1881 after the arrival of the Columbus, Hocking Valley, and Toledo Railroad. A depot (Porter Station) was soon built on this site for passenger and freight service. By 1900, Heatly was renamed Bidwell, in honor of John Bidwell of California, a Prohibitionist candidate running for the United States presidency. By 1906, a thriving railroad business, coupled with the efforts of J. K. Powell, Charles Heatly, and E. T. Morrison, caused land speculation to boom. The village soon included the Powell Tile Factory, the Morrison General Store, the Heatly housing addition, a post office (1881), a two-room school, a Methodist Church (1892), Mt. Carmel Baptist Church (1903),
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Bidwell-Porter High School (1902), flour mill, hotel, and bank. A primary factor affecting Bidwell's prominence throughout the area was the railroad. The Bidwell Bean Dinner and the Emancipation Proclamation Celebration were held each year in nearby Bush's Park. For many years, special excursion trains arrived from Columbus bringing hundreds of visitors to these events. These signs of progress declined when on December 31, 1949, railroad passenger service ended to Bidwell and other towns along the route.
Erected 1996 by Gallia County Historical Society, O.O. McIntyre Park District, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-27.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 38° 55.14′ N, 82° 17.993′ W. Marker is in Bidwell, Ohio, in Gallia County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 554 and Depot Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 554. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bidwell OH 45614, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lambert Land Settlement (approx. 3.3 miles away); Morgan's Raid (approx. 4.5 miles away); Ewington Academy (approx. 6.9 miles away); Pine Street Colored Cemetery (approx. 8.8 miles away); Hon. Samuel Finley Vinton (approx. 8.9 miles away); In Memoriam (approx. 8.9 miles away); African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); Morning Dawn Lodge No. 7 Free and Accepted Masons (approx. 9.2 miles away but has been reported missing).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
John Bidwell, with his beloved wife Annie, eventually settled on his
Also see . . .
1. John Bidwell Congressional Bio. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. John Bidwell. (Submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 771 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 7. submitted on April 12, 2010.