Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Second Oldest D.A.R. Chapter
Meetings were held in private homes and at the State Capitol, until 1895, when “Craigie House,” the Massachusetts State building at the Cotton States Exposition was presented to the Chapter. It was sold in 1909 and this new “Craigie House” was built in 1911.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-48.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 47.235′ N, 84° 22.689′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is on Piedmont Avenue 0.1 miles north of 14th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1204 Piedmont Ave NE, Atlanta GA 30309, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cotton States Exposition of 1895 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Booker T. Washington (about 400 feet away); Habersham Memorial Hall Bate’s Division (approx. half a mile away); Margaret Mitchell House (approx. half a mile away); Sector of Siege Line (approx. 0.6 miles away); David and Frances Cotting (approx. 0.6 miles away); Margaret Mitchell (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . .
1. About the Craigie House (official website for the Atlanta Chapter, NSDAR). After a tree fell on the house in 1985, the building deteriorated and became unusable by the Atlanta Chapter. The Atlanta Chapter sold the Craigie House in 2001 to Inman Park Properties who plan to restore it. (Submitted on August 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Another D.A.R. Chapter buiding.. just around the corner on 15th Street (Submitted on May 13, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,459 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on May 9, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2008, by Felch Dumas of Decatur, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.