San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
250th Anniversary of the Founding of San Antonio
The place was renamed San Fernando de Bexar, 1731, when it became a municipality -- the first in all of Texas, but the name "San Antonio" persisted. Today it is San Antonio in the County of Bexar.
In its lifetime it has given allegiance to nine governments and from 1772 to 1824 it served as the provincial and territorial capital of Texas.
Hemisfair 68 -- A World's Fair held here April 6 to October 6, 1968 on the 250th anniversary of the birth of the City of San Antonio -- Had as it theme "The Confluence of Civilizations in the Americas." It originated as a tribute to the diverse peoples who have occupied the western hemisphere from pre-Columbian Indians who were the first known inhabitants, proud Spanish Conquerors and devout padres, the pioneering American setters and the immigrants from many different lands.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Torch of Friendship (a few steps from this marker); Commerce Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); 141st Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Joseph's Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Congressman Henry B. Gonzalez (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mr. & Mrs. Alfred Beyer (about 300 feet away); Father of the River Walk (about 300 feet away); The Acequias of San Antonio (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,077 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. 3. submitted on June 13, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.