Scituate in Plymouth County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
First Meeting House
Aug. Ye 2d & 3d dayes, 1636.
Exercised in Novemb. 10 & 11, 1636.”
Ministers of Scituate
Giles Saxton — Nathaniel Pitcher
John Lothrop — Shearjashub Bourn
Charles Chauncy — Ebenezer Grosvenor
Henry Dunster — Ebenezer Dawes
Nicholas Baker — Nehemiah Thomas
Jeremiah Cushing — Edmund O. Sewall
Erected 1912 by Chief Justice Cushing Chapter, D. A. R. of Scituate.
Location. 42° 11.314′ N, 70° 43.786′ W. Marker is in Scituate, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is on Meetinghouse Lane, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is the middle of three. Marker is in this post office area: Scituate MA 02066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Church (here, next to this marker); Men of Kent Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); First Training Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mann Historical Museum (approx. Satuit Brook (approx. 0.4 miles away); Williams-Barker House (approx. one mile away); Third Cliff (approx. 1.2 miles away); Site of Stockbridge Mansion (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scituate.
Regarding First Meeting House. Also called the First Church, it apparently stood at the west end of the Men of Kent Cemetery.
Also see . . . Scituate Burial Sites Survey. See page 3 of this document for a few notes about the earliest settlers of Scituate and the meeting house (church) they built near their first burial ground. (Submitted on May 12, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 11, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 781 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 11, 2010, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.