San Augustine in San Augustine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Augustine County Courthouse
San Augustine was one of the 23 original counties established after Texas won independence from Mexico in 1836. Early courts were held in the Mansion Hotel, and by 1840 the county government operated out of the federal custom house. In 1854, San Augustine County built its first courthouse on the public square. The subsequent courthouse, an 1890 Italianate structure, was razed to make room for the current building.
Completed in 1927, the third San Augustine County Courthouse is constructed of Texas Lueders stone. It is symmetrical in plan with a prominent central entry bay and exhibits influences of the Classical Revival style of architecture. The County Commissioners Court, with county judge Ed Kennon presiding, selected East Texas architect Shirley Simons as the designer and the firm of Campbell and White as the builders.
Over the years, the square has been a gathering place for community and county events. Monuments placed on the grounds include a bronze statue of James Pinckney Henderson, first governor of the state of Texas and a resident of San Augustine; and a veterans memorial erected in 1951. The 1927 courthouse stands as a center of politics and government for the people of San Augustine County and an important part of the city's 20th-century architectural heritage.
Recorded Texas Historic
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12729.)
Location. 31° 31.83′ N, 94° 6.666′ W. Marker is in San Augustine, Texas, in San Augustine County. Marker is on West Columbia Street east of Broadway Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Augustine TX 75972, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Augus Theatre (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Hollis Building (about 500 feet away); Site of Mission Nuestra Señora de Los Dolores de Los Ais (approx. 0.6 miles away); Thompson Family (approx. 6.2 miles away); McMahan's Chapel (approx. 8.7 miles away); a different marker also named McMahan's Chapel (approx. 10.1 miles away); County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 10.1 miles away); Norwood Community (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Augustine.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?