Westport in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Here stood the William H. Jessup House
Later owned by William Taylor.
On the river the Jessups built wharves
and warehouses in the late 18th
century where grain was stored awaiting
export by sail. The Saugatuck River
became a shipping lane resulting
in the incorporation of Westport
in 1835 from parts of Norwalk,
Fairfield and Weston.
Westport Historical Society
Westport Young Women's League
Erected by Westport Historical Society, Westport Young Women's League.
Location. 41° 8.436′ N, 73° 21.687′ W. Marker is in Westport, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Jesup Road and Taylor Place, on the right when traveling east on Jesup Road. Touch for map. Located in front of the Westport Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Jesup Road, Westport CT 06880, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Post Road Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesup-Godillot House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Godillot Carriage House (about 700 feet away); Disbrow Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wheeler House (approx. ¼ mile away); Westport World War II Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westport Korean War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Westport Vietnam War Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Westport.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.