Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey
(Classes of 1950 and 1951, respectively)
In recognition of the establishment in 1992 of the
John H. and Carolyn Cobb Josey Library Endowment Fund,
ensuring continued excellence of library and information
services to The University of Alabama.
The Flagstones embedded in this plaza mark the original foundations
of the Rotunda, which housed the first library of the University of
Alabama, and which, on April 4, 1865, was burned by Federal Troops.
Rediscovered and excavated in 1984, the foundations symbolize the
link between the Library's past and its future.
Location. 33° 12.688′ N, 87° 32.771′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from Capstone Drive north of University Blvd. Touch for map. Marker is located on the west side of the front steps to the Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library, Building #1013, on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); Storrs Cadet Troop (a few Amelia Gayle Gorgas (a few steps from this marker); University of Alabama Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Little Round House (within shouting distance of this marker); Site Of Franklin Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oliver-Barnard Hall (about 300 feet away); Tuomey Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Also see . . . University of Alabama's Quad. (Submitted on May 13, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 13, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,115 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 13, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.