Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Liberation of Jane Johnson
Erected 2009 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 39° 56.78′ N, 75° 8.433′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is on the Walnut Street Promenade just east of Delaware Expressway (Interstate 95), in the median. Touch for map. Marker is at Penn’s Landing, at the Independence Seaport Museum. It can be reached by car via South Columbus Boulevard. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Exiles for Conscience Sake (here, next to this marker); Glomar Explorer (within shouting distance of this marker); Monument to Scottish Immigrants (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Courage of the Scottish Immigrants (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Monument to Scottish Immigrants (about 600 feet away); St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia (about 600 feet away); History of Scotland (about 600 feet away); Commodore John Barry (1745 - 1803) (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Also see . . . The Story Behind The Price of a Child. “Arriving by train from Washington D.C. on the morning of July 18, 1855 was Col. John H. Wheeler of North Carolina; his slave, Jane Johnson; and her two sons, Daniel and Isaiah. Wheeler was the American minister to Nicaragua, and his party was passing through, on their way to New York and then to Nicaragua. Unknown to Wheeler, Jane, who’d seen one son sold away, had no intention of traveling to Central America or remaining a slave. Her plan was to leave Wheeler and escape with her children to freedom as soon as they were safely north of slavery.” (Submitted on May 14, 2010.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 14, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 23, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.