Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Milam in Sabine County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

McMahan's Chapel

 
 
McMahan's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, May 2, 2009
1. McMahan's Chapel Marker
Inscription.
Two Miles Southeast To
McMahan’s Chapel
The oldest Methodist church having a continuous existence in Texas. Organized as a "religious society" September, 1833 by the Reverend James P. Stevenson 1808-1885, as a Methodist Church, July 1834 by the Reverend Henry Stephenson. First building was completed in 1839. Displaced by a new building in 1872 and again in 1900.
 
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 11042.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
 
Location. 31° 28.932′ N, 93° 58.476′ W. Marker is near Milam, Texas, in Sabine County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 21 and Route 35 Spur, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 21. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milam TX 75959, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. County Line Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named McMahan's Chapel (approx. 1.9 miles away); Thompson Family (approx. 2.7 miles away); C.A. Nethery & Sons General Merchandise
McMahan's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson
2. McMahan's Chapel
(approx. 8.2 miles away); Milam (approx. 8.3 miles away); a different marker also named Milam (approx. 8.3 miles away); The Old San Antonio Road (approx. 8.3 miles away); John C. Hale (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milam.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 484 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement