Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-47.)
Location. 33° 59.347′ N, 80° 58.398′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is at the intersection of Devine Street (U.S. 76/378) and Wildcat Road, on the right when traveling west on Devine Street. Touch for map. Located where Garner's Ferry Road changes name to Devine Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodlands and Millwood (approx. half a mile away); Redfern Field / Paul R. Redfern (approx. 1.3 miles away); Paul R. Redfern (approx. 1.3 miles away); 100th Inf Division (approx. 1½ miles away); Early Columbia Racetrack 26th Inf Division (approx. 1.8 miles away); Curtiss-Wright Hangar (approx. 1.8 miles away); Darby Field (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . .
1. Today...About Fort Jackson. Fort Jackson is the largest and most active Initial Entry Training Center in the U.S. Army, training 50 percent of all Soldiers and 70 percent of the women entering the Army each year. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Fort Jackson (SC)-A Tradition of Excellence. First known as the Sixth National Cantonment, and later as Camp Jackson, Fort Jackson has always served as the Army's pioneer in the training environment. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Military • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,340 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.