Kennesaw in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
June 6, 1864. 20th A. C. [US] occupied E-W line on Stilesboro rd. (facing S.,) extending 1 mi. E. Old Mt. Olivet Ch. stood .25 mi. E; it was burned the same day.
June 9. Coxís Div. (23d A. C.) [US] took position W. along Stilesboro rd., connecting with Hascallís Div. [US] astride Burnt Hickory rd. The objective of Federal forces was Hardeeís A. C. [CS] from Gilgal Ch. to Pine Mtn.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 59.895′ N, 84° 40.53′ W. Marker is in Kennesaw, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is at the intersection of Acworth-Due West Road and Stilesboro Road, on the left when traveling south on Acworth-Due West Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Route of Polkís Corps (approx. one mile away); Durham House Site of the Dickson House (approx. 1.5 miles away); Davis' Cross Roads (approx. 1.6 miles away); General Leonidas Polk Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Reversed Trench (approx. 1.8 miles away); Pine Mountain (approx. 1.8 miles away); Battle of Gilgal Church (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennesaw.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.