Elkhart in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
C.G. Conn Company
Charles Gerard Conn began the musical instrument industry in Elkhart; city has been called the Band Industry Capital of the World. By 1874 producing rubber mouthpiece; was granted patent 1875; began producing musical instruments 1875. Factory here until 1910. C.G. Conn Company incorporated 1904. Conn sold business to Carl D. Greenleaf 1915.
Erected 2006 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Elkhart County Historical Society, The Truth, Elkhart Historic and Cultural Preservation Commission, and Ray and Susan Enfield. (Marker Number 20.2006.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 41.333′ N, 85° 58.067′ W. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkhart IN 46516, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rivers for Industry (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rivers and the Native Americans (approx. ¼ mile away); The Rivers for Recreation (approx. ¼ mile away); Island Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Village of Pulaski (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elkhart River Old Indian Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elkhart River Wharves (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elkhart Carnegie Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkhart.
Also see . . .
1. History of C.G. Conn. A History of C.G. Conn Company from the current Conn-Selmer, Inc., website. (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
2. C. G. Conn at Wikipedia. Wikipedia entry for C.G. Conn Company (Submitted on May 16, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
3. Indiana Historical Bureau (IHB). The IHB provides reference notes on the text of this marker. (Submitted on February 6, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.