Ajo in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The City of Ajo
The modern city was founded in its present location in 1917 coincident with the beginning of large scale mining of the copper deposits.
Ajo is the home of the New Cornelia Mine of the Phelps Dodge Corporation which is one of the great copper mines of the world.
The open pit mine is located one mile south of the city and the concentrator, smelter and shops are adjacent to the town site on the east.
1917 – Leaching plant started in operation.
1924 – Concentrator started in operation.
1950 – Smelter started in operation.
Location. 32° 22.339′ N, 112° 51.753′ W. Marker is in Ajo, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is on La Mina Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 La Mina Avenue, Ajo AZ 85321, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ajo Mining District (here, next to this marker); The Mine Manager's House (approx. half a mile away); Old Clarkston Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the
Also see . . .
1. Ajo’s Historical Attractions. Information and photos of The Plaza, Curley School, Greenway Mansion, Cross on A-Mountain, Ajo Historical Museum, New Cornelia Open Pit Mining Lookout and The Train Depot. (Submitted on May 16, 2010.)
2. The History of Ajo. Before the community of Ajo was settled, the Tohono O'odham used water from a series of potholes in the are they called Mu'i Wawhia or Moivavi (Many Wells). Mexican miners later called the site Ajo after the abundant wild garlic, perhaps influenced by another O'odham name for the area which meant red paint -- au-auho -- for the pigment they obtained from the ore-rich rocks. (Submitted on May 16, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,181 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.