Brooklyn in Kings County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Acknowledged now as Brooklyn's greatest architect, Freeman was a master of the Eclectic Romanesque Revival style. His metaphor of warehouse as fortress — impregnable, massive, permanent — was singularly fitting and reassuring for the owners of the valuables stored within. Underground, a "moat" of air even surrounds the foundation, protecting it from water seepage.
Freeman wrapped the warehouse around the one structure left by the newspaper. Its three story pressroom, built in 1882, at the corner of Doughty Street and Elizabeth Place, where you can detect its roofline today. In 1906, he added another building in the same style, east of his first. The warehouse was converted to residential use in 1979.
Erected 1994 by Eagle Tenants Corporation.
Location. 40° 42.133′ N, 73° 59.6′ W. Marker is in Brooklyn, New York, in Kings County. Marker is on Old Fulton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 28 Old Fulton Street, Brooklyn NY 11201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Walt Whitman (here, next to this marker); Brooklyn City Railroad Company Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brookland Ferry Landing (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Brookland Ferry Landing (about 600 feet away); The Builders of the Bridge (about 800 feet away); 1883 New York Harbor (about 800 feet away); Manhattan North of the Bridge to Canal Street (about 800 feet away); Evacuation Site – Fulton Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brooklyn.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2010, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.