Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Church of St. Andrew
The first rector was the Reverend Aeneas MacKenzie.
During the American Revolution, skirmishes initiated by the American forces occured in the vicinity of the church on October 26, 1776 and on August 8, 1777; The church was damaged during the later engagement.
The church has been twice razed by fire, once on March 29, 1867, and again on October 16, 1872, but the original walls remain.
The church of St. Andrew has been served by a distinguished line of clergymen, among them the Right Reverend Samuel Seabury, consecrated first American Bishop at Aberdeen in 1784, the Right Reverend Richard Channing Moore, consecrated Bishop of Virginia in 1815, and the Right Reverend Charles Sumner Burch, consecrated Bishop of New York in 1911.
Erected by the
Committee on Historical Marking
George Washington Bi-Centennial Commission
September 17, 1932
Erected 1932 by Committee on Historical Marking, Richmond Borough & George Washington Bi-Centennial Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is on the south side of the church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 Old Mill Road, Staten Island NY 10307, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Relatives of Elizabeth Bayley Seton (here, next to this marker); Patriots under Gen. Mercer (here, next to this marker); Church of Saint Andrew (a few steps from this marker); St. Andrew’s Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of 18th century structures (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christopher House (about 300 feet away); Historic Richmondtown (about 800 feet away); Rezeau-Van Pelt Family Cemetery (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
Also see . . . The Church of St. Andrew website. (Submitted on May 17, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 17, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 737 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 17, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.